[TheList] Pike River coal mine explosion

kiwi56 kiwi56 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Nov 21 15:47:57 AEDT 2010

what a load of bull.
I think the police and the rescue teams have more idea than any of us of
what is happening as far as whether or not it is safe to send a rescue
team in.
Would you take the responsibility of sending people in there and then
having them die because it was not safe to do so. They have some of the
best mining experts in the world there from aussie and the states.
This is a coal mine very different to any other mine and they have to be
absolutely positive that they are not endangering anyone else when they
do decide to send them in.

It is just like that father that said he would go in there no matter
what. More fool him considering he is not a miner and has never worked
in the mines. Admittedly his son is a contractor who is trapped in there
but at the end of the day with all the gases down there they have to
make sure that it is absolutely safe both for the rescuers and the
trapped men before they send any one down the mine.

I don't think they are actually breaching any part of the act as at the
end of the day the police are the authority in charge of this incident
and they have overall control and I am sure they will arrest anyone who
tried to go in there without permission plus they could also do them for
tresspass if they were in there without permission of the mining company.

At the end of the day I would not hold out much hope of the men being
bought out alive considering there has been an explosion and there is
methane gas and carbon dioxide down there as their sir supply that they
carry only lasts around 20 minutes.

The guys that got out were actually lucky because they were not as far
down the mine as the rest of them.

On 11/21/2010 4:04 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
> Crimes Act

> 204 Impeding rescue
>        (1) Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not
> exceeding 10 years who, without lawful justification or excuse,
> prevents or impedes or attempts to prevent or impede any person who is
> attempting to save his own life or the life of any other person.
>        (2) No one is guilty of an offence against this section who
> does any such act as aforesaid in the course of saving his own life or
> the life of any other person.
>
> The Police need proof that a rescuer would die in order to prevent a
> rescue attempt being made. The assertion that they might be in danger
> is insufficient.
>
> They appear to be breaching other similar provisions on the act as well.

As for the mayor of Grey I think he should keep his mouth shut as far as
saying they should be releasing the names of those trapped although they
have released 12 names so far but at the end of the day like Gary
Knowles said if you lived overseas and had a relation working in the
mine you would not want to find out through the media before you were
told by the authorities it is no difference to when a person is killed
they have to advise next of kin before releasing names to the media. The
mayor is just stirring things up.
As for the media man some of them are absolute idiots with some of the
questions they ask. such as how would the men that are trapped be
feeling? duh who would know other than the men themselves none would
unless they had been in the same situation.