[TheList] The Answers to my Train Questions :)

Mike Trump zl3tpq at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 03:58:39 AEDT 2010

Guys,
This is GOOD.
I think that scanning (and it's discussion) should be a LOT more than just Police and Fire.
Eventually we are going to lose the ability to hear these services. (like it or not)
What we need to be getting into now, is alternative things to listen to.
While trains might not be every-ones cup of tea, it exemplifies the need to use a scanner for what it really is.

I remember when the NZScanners Forum was going and quite a few of the new folks there more or less posted:
{Hi what frequency are my local cops on, thanks}

IMO, that isn't scanning at all, that is like buying a toaster and asking over the Net how to work the bloody thing, in fact if you have to ask, you'll never really understand what scanning is about.
Or the enjoyment of doing a scan over a certain part of our spectrum and finding something that you never knew existed.

One thing that strikes me as strange is the fact we've never really had any REAL discussion on Aviation (apart from plane crashes) or Military frequencies.
Look, we have a spectrum full of different things in this country, let's start hearing about the things you've heard away from the Police and Fire frequencies.

Anyone here own an HF Communications reciever?, or an HF Ham transciever that will recieve out of band frequencies?

Food for thought guys,
Sorry to come across as some sort of an arse-hole, I just don't want to see this hobby die because of the P25 thing.

Have a good weekend, folks.

Mike T.

P.S: Thanks to the person that actually asked the question regarding the Train Controls and such, we need more of this sort of discussion IMO.