[TheList] The Answers to my Train Questions :)

Chris H radiowiki at archnetnz.com
Wed Nov 17 18:42:05 AEDT 2010

What do they refer to when they say 'Warrent to go on xyz'.

A warrant is a verbal authority that is wriiten down by the loco driver
and repeated back to the controller to give him permission to proceed
along that particular piece of track.
Its used in areas where the track is not controlled by ctc signaling.

Stop Signals and passing through them when they are red.

Generally means there may be a signal failure for some reason and the
signal reverts to red.
The loco driver then has to get verbal authroity to proceed past the
signal as it is red. I think the form they use is a "mis 59"

'Compulsory Stop Boards'.
The stop boards are a means of protection for track workers and they act
like a red signal.
The loco driver can not pass the boards until he has authority from
train control who in turn gets this from  the ganger in charge of the
work site.

Just after before midday today there was talk about heat control, or
something.

With the warm weather and trains running over the track it heats up to a
point where it can buckle.

They measure the track temp automaticly through sensors I believe and an
alarm must go off to warn train control.

They then place a speed restriction on that area of track, usually about
40kph instead of normal speed of 80kph.

Its due to the rail being welded together and can not expand as it wants
to.

They do a process called destressing in which the rail is cut and a
section taken out and then "pulled" together again and re welded.

Today there was talk about someone trying to play train control from a
train that I guess was on the wharf - I assume they were referring to
local controllers??

Not to sure on that one. Probably someone trying to use his authority to
much towards a train controller in regards to there wanted movements

What is 'The Box'?
It will be a signal box, yes they still use them

What is 'The Loop' - Heard that LOTS down in Chch, but I was just across
the way from a shunting yard, although only had Control 1 - 5 channels
in the scanner.
Its an area of double track used for crossing trains

They refer to Main Line Up, or something??
Its when they have a double tracked area and each side is dedicated to a
direction of travel,
I guess you could explain it like on a road you have a left and right
lane .

I have read that Train Control is based in Wellington..
What would be based in Auckland??

They have signal boxes up there and I think train control was moved to
Auckland too.