[TheList] NEWS:- Customs digital

Stephen kiwis1 at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Jan 13 10:54:04 AEDT 2010

Customs service goes digital and encrypted to beat gangs
Last updated 05:00 12/01/2010
Share
Print
Text Size
Crime
Man, 22, remanded on charge of injuring policewoman
'Behaviour could be like vigilantes'
Rapist in custody again as he has nowhere else to go
Man with 'nothing to lose' jailed for robbing backpacker
Woman charged with mobility scooter theft
Net closing on drug lords
Man charged after allegedly luring teen
Crash tourist surrenders passport
Record pseudoephedrine seizures in 2009
More charges for Christchurch mall arson accused
By JOHN HARTEVELT - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 12/01/2010
Share
Print
Text Size
Crime
Man, 22, remanded on charge of injuring policewoman
'Behaviour could be like vigilantes'
Rapist in custody again as he has nowhere else to go
Man with 'nothing to lose' jailed for robbing backpacker
Woman charged with mobility scooter theft
Net closing on drug lords
Man charged after allegedly luring teen
Crash tourist surrenders passport
Record pseudoephedrine seizures in 2009
More charges for Christchurch mall arson accused

The New Zealand Customs Service will digitally encrypt its communications to
beat spying by drug lords.

Customs would move to digital-communications technology this year to avoid
intercepts. The digital communications would be encrypted, Customs Minister
Maurice Williamson said yesterday.

The move to protect intelligence comes ahead of sentencing for Dean Waka
Nathan, who ran a P ring from Christchurch Men's Prison using only a
cellphone.

"The gangs now are starting to use analogue surveillance equipment and
scanners, and pick up our radio communications and know when we're watching
them," Mr Williamson said.

"It's got to be covert. The more we signal to the gangs what we're doing,
the more they can be ready to shut stuff down."

Nathan, 42, has already pleaded guilty to charges of supplying
methamphetamine, and conspiring to supply the drug from prison.

The Christchurch District Court was told last year that he bought drugs
wholesale in Auckland to sell in Christchurch.

He used an unauthorised cellphone to arrange the purchases of
methamphetamine at between $12,000 and $13,000 an ounce.

Police intercepted calls Nathan made on the cellphone.

Nathan admitted the charges but disputed the amount of the drug involved. He
is due to be sentenced next Wednesday.

Stephen Hansen
Whangarei