[TheList] enrypted radio reduces help from non criminal listeners?

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 15:18:00 AEST 2010

When Scanners are known in public as 'Police Scanners' it's obvious that a
certain element are going to use them as an intelligence gathering tool to
avoid the Police.
Call it 'spin' all you like but as much as it's hard for evidence to be
provided to the public eye, it's no great secret that dodgy folks have been
listening to the Police with scanners for a long time and have had to shelve
it as an intel tool in the areas where encrypted digital has been rolled
out.

I know of some first-hand cases where folks I know from the car enthusiast
scene have acquired scanners specifically to listen to the cops, and have
simultaneously been involved in either attending or participating in 'the
drags'.

There's this thing called 'Assurance'. The cops, when using encrypted
radios, now have a degree of assurance they're not being listened to by
'dodgy' folks.  It's not foolproof, but it's a damnsight better than they
had.

I call the other way; what're the statistics on circumstances where folks
listening to scanners have assisted in capturing criminals or preventing
crime?
Hard numbers? Really?  And do you think they'd outnumber the instances where
Crims have taken advantage of being able to listen?  (and if they're taking
advantage, how do you know about it until well afterward - assuming they've
gotten away with it, there's no means of gathering said stats!!)

In the end moving to encrypted comms is a logical IA measure, interception
is a known means of intel-gathering and encryption is the counterpoint on
it.  There's plenty of justification for it, no spin required.

- Mark.