[TheList] Fire service extension ladders?

Mike Trump zl3tpq at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 17:29:48 AEST 2010

This may be a tad off-topic for this mailing list, but I do know that there are a few operational FF's amongst us.
My question is, I note that the Fire Service these days has moved away from the older type wooden extension ladders on appliances.
Now, I remember these ladders well when I was a FF, with them being heavy and awkward to move at the best of times.
>From the pictures I've seen of the newer aluminium ladders, they look rather flimsy, I could be wrong, has anyone had any experience with these ladders and what are your thoughts?
I've been out of the fire service for a while, so I never got the chance to have a go at using one of the newer types of ladders.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike Trump.