[TheList] Auckland air Traffic control

Neill Ellis tgsnoopy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 20:27:03 AEST 2010

Hi Denis,

I haven't done it myself... But come to think about it a bit, I expect
it would be lots of SCPC Narrowband FM signals. This means the
transponder power would be distributed amongst all these different
signals. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it required a (much?) larger
dish because of this.

As for what's available, on which bird and why I have no real idea.

What I am aware of is the majority of flight routing is handled by
Christchurch ATC, maybe some or all of this traffic on the satellite is
the linking to the remote sites.

As for the cost of a PLL LNB, they were about 5 times the price of a
standard LNB back then. Times have changed dramatically since then.
LNBF's are the order of the day now, maybe PLL LNBF's are available,
maybe you need to buy a PLL LNB and a seperate feed like the old days.

I made a couple of calls tonight. The guys I knew who were doing it
aren't anymore, they both were using 1.8m andrews spun prime focus 10
GHz microwave dishes converted to satellite. The LNB's were sold with
the dishes to other Hams.

Regards,

Neill.

Denis Dawson wrote:
> Last time I heard/read about this it was only on one of the Optus satellites
> D2 from memory so most NZers would have a SKY dish up and won't be looking
> at D2.
> Denis

>>> 3 NZAA Delivery 128.200
>>> 4 NZAA Ground 121.900
>>> 5 NZAA Apron 123.000
>>> 6 NZAA ATIS 127.800
>>> 7 Ramp (Air NZ Int'l) 131.900
>>> 8 Ramp (Air NZ Domestic) 132.900
>>> 9 Ramp (Air NZ Link) 131.000
>>>
>>> Bank 2) Auckland Regional Control 11 Auckland Control 129.500 12 Auckland
>>>
> Area Control 120.500
>
>>> 13 Auckland Approach 124.300
>>> 16 Christchurch Control Central North Island 119.500
>>> 17 Auckland Control 129.6
>>> 18 Auckland Oceanic Control Primary 123.900