[TheList] NEWS:- Off duty Dispatcher catches thief - good one!

Stephen heat at xnet.co.nz
Mon Oct 12 13:09:47 AEDT 2009

A police dispatcher on his way home from work chased down thieves
driving a van he had earlier reported stolen on police radio.

Yutaro Kanai was driving home after finishing work at the police
Northern Communications Centre in Auckland, when he saw the van on the
road beside him, Police 10-1 magazine reported.

He let the van pass him, began following it and called 111, passing on
details of the chase to one of his colleagues.

"I wasn't sure whether I should follow it but I knew if I went into work
the next day and it had turned out to be the stolen vehicle, I would
beat myself up," Mr Kanai told the magazine.

At one stage, he pulled up beside the van, asking the driver to pull
over. The request was refused.

When the driver of the stolen van began losing control of the vehicle,
Mr Kanai pulled back to a safe distance, but kept up his pursuit.

Police eventually caught the driver.

"It was a good feeling when they caught him," Mr Kanai said.