[TheList] Scott's trip back in time

Vaughan big-v at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 6 11:57:04 AEST 2009

Quote: "Satelite phone would be thew answer there..."

Satellite phones are a good solution if you can afford one. The latest
generation Iridium 9555 units will set you back $3,500 NZ [ not including
call plan or setup fees. ] Of course there is always the older gen Iridium
9500 refurbished units that are more bulky / less batt efficient but are
cheaper @ $1,000 NZ [ not including call plan or setup fees. ] Operating in
the field sat phones aren't always the 'magic bullet' in terms of 100%
reliability, for instance in less than ideal conditions stuck at the bottom
of a ravine or deep gully you probably have one expensive brick in your
hand. My advice is buy a Personal Locator Beacon before buying a satellite
phone.

Quote: "Isn't there a cellphone that also can be used as a satphone full
"dual service".... Anyone know anything about this?"

Optus Satellite in Australia offer a dual band unit for $1,650 AUS. Don't
know if they offer service plans to us Kiwi folks though.